Saturday, September 8, 2012

An open apology to my neighbor for using their Oxiclean Max Force Stain Removal Spray without Permission

Let me explain...

On Thursday I was in the basement getting a tent and camping supplies out of my storage cage.  I decided to use the basement door to the outside since the tent is pretty heavy and it didn't make any sense to carry the tent up the inside stairs just to go down the outside stairs in front of the house.  I'm big on efficiency.  Okay, whatever, I didn't buy that either.  I'm big on NOT carrying a heavy tent up and down more stairs than I need to :)

When I was going out the basement door I was careful not to swing the tent over to the right of the door.  A couple of weeks ago (when I was getting more stuff out of my storage unit for a yard sale), I noticed  that there was a large web with a large spider and two LARGE egg sacks hanging to the right of the door.

This is the kind of spider it was:

According to the Portland State University "Common House Spiders of Portland" website the common name  of this spider is a "False Black Widow" and they are common in Portland homes.  They create "cobweb" looking webs--you know, like the ones people make out of quilt batting for Halloween.


I grew up in a farm house with spiders all around as a part of daily life.  I've lived in other countries where I've had to share showers with spiders whose legs spanned the palm of my hand.  I am generally not in a hurry to kill them because I know they eat other pests and can be good to have around.

So, I was careful not the drag the tent through the spider's web.


I came back in the basement to get the rest of the camping supplies, locked up my storage cage, and headed for the outside basement door, again being careful not to disturb the spider or it's web.  I planned to pull the basement door shut behind me, but as I walked by the web something caught my eye.  Some movement I hadn't seen before.  I quickly took the camping supplies outside and came back into the basement.

I got close enough just to confirm my suspicion and slowly backed away.

This is similar to what I saw:

This pic comes from the blog squirrelsview.blogspot.com.  The writer of this blog and I did not have the same reaction.  She carefully took the spider and the egg-sack off of her screen door and transported them to safety on a paper towel.

I, on the other hand, suddenly had visions of 1000's of large bulbous spiders with huge abdomens invading my apartment above.  Out of pure panic I reached for the first thing I saw--YOUR Oxiclean Maxforce Stain Removal Spray--and saturated the web and the spider and the babies with it.

And watched them die.

And immediately felt sick.

Such violence.  Is my imagination too vivid?  Is it because it's getting close to Halloween?    Obviously, I'm still pondering my behavior.  And truth be told, I can't be sure that given the opportunity I wouldn't do it that way again.  Even now I'm feeling itchy all over at the thought of those little baby spiders all over my house.  Arachnophobia?  I never even watched that movie. LOL.

So you see, dear neighbor, I really did you a favor! since your apartment is in this house too!

No comments: