Monday, January 12, 2009

Highway Run Into the Midnight Sun . . .

I almost always have a song in my head.

What this means, for those of you who don't experience said phenomenon, is that somewhere in the background of my mind a song is ALWAYS playing. And if I'm not careful and my mind is not otherwise occupied, I'll start singing it.

For example, if the radio is on in the car, I'll sing along to whatever song is on. If the radio isn't on, I'll sing along to the song in my head. Or, if there's no music on in the office, I'll catch myself (or worse, my coworkers will catch me) singing whatever song is in my head. Of course, if there is music on, I have to consciously stop myself from singing out loud to that music too.

On Saturday, a friend and I were discussing "Faithfully" by Journey. It's a great song. Journey is good stuff, if you like '80's hairbands with sappy lyrics, fantastic power ballads, and killer guitar solos. Somehow, during the course of the conversation the song got stuck in my head.

And it's been there ever since. I've tried listening to it over and over again. Sometimes that helps to get it out, but to no avail. It's still there.

The thing is, having Faithfully stuck in my head is actually a welcome relief.

It replaced a month long run of the theme song to Sesame Street.

4 comments:

Kaira said...

There is a name for this. It's called an earworm. For real. My "earworm" has been the same thing for many months. Just one line to a song I dont really know. "do wah do wah do wah diddy I wanna get a job in new york city" The original lyric is "Ooo wah, ooo wah c'mon kitty Tell us about the boy from New York City" But somewhere along the way I heard it about a job. Chloe even sings it now because of me. I sing it out loud everywhere I go without even realizing it!

Anonymous said...

I too suffer from earworms, though I had never heard that term before today - (um, gross). The worst ones are songs that I only know one line to, so I just repeat it over and over and over with no end in sight because I don't know the end, or even the beginning, just some random line from the middle!!!! ARRRRRGH!!!!!

jesserae said...

I feel sorry for those who live with persons suffering from earworm...or maybee I just miss being around my old roomie who would constantly break out in song.

Unknown said...

You are not alone my friend! My brother calls it Musical Tourrette's. Which is just as legitimate as anyhting on wikepedia. just sayin'