Friday, March 30, 2007

Sushi & Bubble Tea

My Birthday was on a Tuesday this year. I should have gone to my Managerial Accounting class, but instead, I called my professor and became an annoying non-traditional students who said, "I know that your class is important and I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings. I really enjoying going, but it's my birthday and I don't want to come tonight. Are we going to have a quiz, because if we are I'll come, but if not, I'm not coming." I guess in that moment, I thought honesty would be the best policy.


Fortunately for me, my teacher was gracious and told me we weren't having a quiz, so I didn't go. Instead, I came home and my roommates decided to take me out. Jess said, "Ang, it's your birthday, so you pick the place. We'll go wherever you want to go." "Wherever I want to go?" I'm sure I squealed out of excitment. My sister Beckie said she knew in that instant that I would want to go to Sushiland, which is pretty incredible because I hadn't even thought of Sushi yet, but ultimately that is where I asked to go.



We drove 20 minutes across town to Fisher's Landing and the closest Sushiland restaurant. Sushiland is unusual, even for sushi, because the dishes go by you on a conveyor belt and you choose the plates you want to eat. There is a menu with pictures so you know what everything is and the plates are color coded so you know how much it costs. It's actually a great way to try something new because the cost of each plate ranges from $1 to $3. So, if you don't like it, it's okay because you haven't made a big investment.


Here are some of my favorites:






After Sushiland we went to Bubble Bubble Tea, a local chain of Bubble or Pearl Tea shops. It's my new favorite thing. Bubble or Pearl Tea is tea with Tapioca balls in the bottom. Or if you don't like Tapioca you can get flavored jellies in the bottom of your tea. You drink the drink through a very fat straw so that you suck up the bubbles or jellies while you are drinking.


A word of caution: If you have texture issues, this is not the drink for you.



However, if you like black or green tea, especially with milk in it since Bubble Tea is traditionally made with milk, and you like Tapioca, chances are you'll like this. My favorite is just the traditional Bubble Bubble Tea with black milk tea and Tapioca Bubbles. At most of stores around here you can also get a wide variety of fruit flavored black and green teas as well as slushies, etc. There are so many choices it sort of makes your head spin.


As you can see from the pictures, they seal the tea into your cup with this great machine which I think is half the fun of drinking the drink. On my birthday, I branched out a little and got Mango Black Tea with Bubbles. Unfortunately, you can't see the bubbles because the tea is so dark, but it was really good:) I had a great Birthday--thanks Bec and Jess for being willing to try new experiences with me on my birthday! I loved experiencing conveyor belt sushi with you. All except for the hairy peas--those were not fun, but that's Beckie's story to tell.

No comments: